Sunday, August 12, 2012

Blind Spots

I have become a pretty big fan of Quora lately, especially with the weekly digest they e-mail out.  A couple months ago, I came across this question: Why haven't cars yet solved the problem of the blind-spot in wing mirrors?  The most upvoted answer details how to adjust your side mirrors to get rid of the blind spots, as "recommended at most driving schools, including the BMW Performance Center in South Carolina."  After reading the post, I decided to give it a go.  (The fact that a BMW Performance Center recommended this may have played into my decision.)

So I've been driving this way for a month or two and I'm still getting used to it.  Your wing mirrors are no longer as important as they were before (it's only for checking the "blind spot" area now), and instead the rearview mirror is where you always check first.  There has been one instance where I almost changed lanes into a car in my blind spot and I don't remember if it's because I didn't check properly or the car was elsewhere in another (supposedly nonexistent) blind spot.  One thing that's annoying is that I can no longer use my wing mirrors as effectively when backing into parking spots, something I do when parking (I back in more often than not).

I'm going to continue trying to get used to this configuration, but certainly the thought of switching back to my "normal" configuration has crossed my mind.  We'll see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment